We’re not going to sit here and pretend that this recipe is by any means a replacement or stands up to any of the best macaroni and cheese recipes you’ve ever had. What we will tell you is that this is a satisfyingly cheesy side dish that will hit on some of your favorite aspects of what makes macaroni and cheese a favorite of many.
As we continue to embark on our low carb eating, finding new wrinkles and recipes has become increasingly more difficult. For weeks or even months we were able to happily repeat our favorites, but just like anything else, they became redundant and boring and we needed to try something new.
As is the case with our *Brussels Sprouts*, we’ve found ourselves experimenting with vegetables that neither of us grew up eating often, if ever, let alone had any experience with cooking/preparing. We’ve been pleasantly surprised more often than not. In the case of the cauliflower mac & cheese, neither of us expected to like this recipe as much as we do. Give it a try!
Is there a vegetable that you grew up “not liking” but wound up really enjoying once you tried it? This recipe for cheesy cauliflower is the perfect way to convince yourself to eat your vegetables!
- 1 head cauliflower cut into small florets
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp butter
- Begin boiling a pot of water and preheat the oven to 375.
- Cut cauliflower into small florets.
- Put cauliflower into boiling water.
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter and add garlic.
- Cook garlic until fragrant.
- Add whipping cream and cook on medium until bubbling.
- Slowly add cheese and continuously stir.
- Continue adding cheese until the sauce is thick.
- Once the cauliflower is tender, remove from heat and drain.
- Pat the cauliflower down until dry. Add to a small casserole dish.
- Pour cheese sauce over the top and stir in.
- Top with additional cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese is fully melted.